Decade Universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Evolution of the "80s kid" perspective through the years.

2 posters

Go down

Evolution of the "80s kid" perspective through the years. Empty Evolution of the "80s kid" perspective through the years.

Post  MartyMcFly Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:10 am

In the actual 80s, I had several childhood friends my age, who liked the music, video games and things.

A little later when I was in late elementary and middle school ('91-96), lots of them still did, although of course they liked the new stuff on top of it. But I don't remember any 80s hate, I wonder if they just maybe didn't know when certain things were from and/or didn't care? It seems like actual children are actually less judgemental than teens are. In other words, they might like a song just because it sounds good to them, and not because of peer pressure. So they won't really care if its older or less cool. These kids ranged from '78ers to '83ers, btw.

Even in most of high school, their tastes seemed pretty varied (then again I only hung out and really got to know certain kids). It wasn't until 1999 that I started seeing 80s hate coming from my generation, and actually it wasn't at school, but usually at jobs I worked at. There were tons of wiggers I had to put up with during that '99-'03 time. People in their late teens and early twenties just tore them a new one, and I remember how mad it got me.

What's interesting is that NOW (both online and in real life), I hear about so many people close to my age who are nostalgic as heck for the movies, music, and just general life experiences from the 80s, with not nearly as much of the hate as there was years ago. Which makes me wonder if those are the more "old school people" like me, who probably dug the 80s all along; or did they maybe make fun of it as teens and have since softened and gotten into it? Especially as current pop culture started sucking more. Laughing

Not only that, but a 1978er seems to be able to pass for just as much of an "80s person" as a 1968er, and not seem "too young" anymore. I used to hear that all the time, and rarely do anymore, unless its from a Baby Boomer or something, who would have a much more "adult perspective" of that time.

It depresses me that some "non-old school" 90s born teens and early 20somethings would probably think of me as being just a slightly younger/cooler version of their parents (born 1965-70ish) instead of like them. Especially since I have a really good memory, and get nostalgic for "the old days" alot.
MartyMcFly
MartyMcFly

Back to top Go down

Evolution of the "80s kid" perspective through the years. Empty Re: Evolution of the "80s kid" perspective through the years.

Post  unconventional99 Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:30 pm

I noticed the same too. I think since technology and our way of life is changing so fast, the 80s kids and beyond are identifying more with their childhoods. It's also because there's less pressure to reject childhood things when you're an adult vs a teen. They might also identify as 80s kids after the fact that 90s kids were identifying more with the 90s. The 80s perspective made them more distinct.

unconventional99
Admin

https://decadeuniverse.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum