Decade Universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is the sound of "now"

3 posters

Go down

What is the sound of "now" Empty What is the sound of "now"

Post  Emman Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:12 pm

What is a sound or style of music that is most distinctive to 2012 or the early '10s in general, what is unmistakably 2012?

for instance for me

the sound of '62 would be surf rock, guitar instrumentals, folk revival, and Phil Spector's wall of sound, guys with a clean cut look

the sound of '72 would be wah wah funk, soft philly soul, singer-songwriter striped down pop, proggy rock, glam rock, long hair and beards, afros, bellbottoms, high heels, and wide collars

the sound of '82 would be new wave and post-punk, I picture A Flock Of Seagulls, Prince, Duran Duran, and Michael Jackson

the sound of '92 would be rave/house, grunge, shoegaze, trip-hop, g funk, people wearing baggy clothes, overalls, braids, flannel, doc martens, high top fades, and big frizzy hair

the sound of '02 would be urban pop/R&B(like The Neptunes productions), dirty south rap, nu metal, mall punk, and of course the garage rock revival bands, guys wearing dew rags, trucker hats, short spiky hair, girls in slutty attire

And for me the sound of that is unmistakable to '12 would be dubstep/brostep, wubbly, gnarly bass sounds, and also electro-house, guys in skinny jeans, graphic tees, and waistcoats, hipster-lite attire.
Emman
Emman

Back to top Go down

What is the sound of "now" Empty Re: What is the sound of "now"

Post  MartyMcFly Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:34 am

I'd say that's all pretty right on. Of course, the autotune pop garbage is still going strong now too, although that ties back to 2006 in a way, with Rihanna.
MartyMcFly
MartyMcFly

Back to top Go down

Post  Emman Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:39 pm

MartyMcFly wrote:I'd say that's all pretty right on. Of course, the autotune pop garbage is still going strong now too, although that ties back to 2006 in a way, with Rihanna.
I think in 20 years if VH1 does a show on the 2010s it could go something like this.....I wub wub wub*autotuned voice* the twenty tens Question . I hear the bass wubbles of dubstep increasingly more in commericals(like internet explorer and NERDs), it could potentially become a date stamp of the early 2010s the same way a wah wah guitar is the characteristic sound of the '70s.
Emman
Emman

Back to top Go down

Post  Slim90 Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:20 pm

The sound of now is Autotuned Electro Pop. Why people say it's Indie/Alternative, I have no idea. If you look at the charts, 2009 had the same amount of Indie songs on the Top 40 that 2012 has. We are not in an Indie music explosion and it's not predominant in music of 2012.

Slim90

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down